Senior Research Associate
George Hagerman has over 30 years experience researching marine renewable energy systems, including offshore wind power, wave power, tidal current energy, and ocean thermal energy conversion.Â Â His present focus areas are marine renewable energy resource assessment, metocean extreme event analysis, test site development, and energy cost modeling.Â He is a Senior Research Associate with the Center for Energy and the Global Environment at the Virginia Tech Advanced Research Institute.Â He also is Director of Offshore Wind Research for the Virginia Coastal Energy Research Consortium, where he coordinated work at five universities to support a feasibility-level reference baseline design and cost estimate for a hypothetical offshore wind project in Virginia.
Mr. Hagerman has been invited to brief federal and state regulatory agencies, and to testify before federal and state legislative committees.Â In 2009, the Minerals Management Service recognized his service with an Offshore Leadership Award.Â He currently serves on the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management Intergovernmental Renewable Energy Task Force for offshore wind development in federal waters off Virginia.
M.S., Marine Sciences
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1977-80
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1972-76
- Director of Research, Virginia Coastal Energy Research Consortium, Jun 2006 – present
- Senior Research Associate, Virginia Tech Advanced Research Inst., Aug 2004 – present
- Research Associate, Virginia Tech Advanced Research Inst., May 2000 – Aug 2004
- Program & Grants Specialist, Virginia Tech Advanced Research Inst., Jan 1999 – May 2000
- Geothermal Heat Pumps for Energy$mart Schools in Virginia (10/2000 – 08/2003)
- Development of an Integrated Extreme Wind, Wave, Current, and Water Level Climatology to Support Standards-Based Design of Offshore Wind Projects
- Accelerating Virginia’s Offshore Wind Economic Development
- Wave Energy Resource Assessment and GIS Database for the U.S.
- Virginia Beach Local Energy Assurance Plan